DPI is an abbreviated form of Dots Per Inch. Mouse DPI tests the sensitivity of a mouse. By adjusting the mouse DPI in the mouse settings, you can alter and instantly adjust the pointer speed. Generally speaking, the higher the DPI of the cursor, the higher the speed of the pointer. The high DPI helps you to detect and accurately respond to the tiny movements in your cursor. That said, it’s easier to have a higher mouse DPI, but it’s not always nice for us to have a higher mouse DPI. If you accidentally shift your mouse, you certainly don’t want your mouse cursor to scroll across the entire screen. So a proper mouse DPI is necessary and you should clearly know how to check your computer’s mouse DPI and change it to suit your needs.
You will usually adjust the DPI of your mouse using the mouse settings on your computer. You can also adjust the DPI using the on-the-fly DPI button if you have a mouse that has one, such as the Logitech G502 mouse. To adjust the mouse DPI, check the following methods.
- Adjust the DPI of the mouse with the on-the-fly DPI button:
- If your mouse has a DPI on-the-fly button/switch, you can adjust the DPI of your mouse directly with a button that allows you to change the DPI of your mouse easily and continuously.
- On your cursor, find the on-the-fly DPI button. It’s usually on your mouse’s top, bottom side.
- To adjust your mouse DPI, click or slide the button/switch.
- The new DPI settings will be shown on the LCD, or you will see a message on your monitor informing you about the DPI update.
- If your mouse doesn’t have a DPI option, you can change the DPI of the mouse in the mouse settings.
- Adjust the DPI mouse in the mouse settings:
- You can also adjust the DPI mouse in the mouse settings, which is a popular way to do it.
- On your screen, open the Control Panel and choose View by Small icons or View by Large icons.
- Click the mouse button to open the mouse properties. Choose the Pointer Options tab.
- Drag the slide to pick a pointer speed for your mouse in the Motion section.
- Uncheck the box next to Enhance pointer precision. This is optional.
- Pointer accuracy allows the mouse pointer to move various lengths depending on how quickly you move the mouse, which is negative for gamers. That’s why we recommend disabling it.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How to set mouse DPI?
If your mouse does not have usable DPI buttons, simply run the mouse and keyboard control center, select the mouse you want to use, select the basic settings, find the mouse’s sensitivity settings, and change your settings accordingly. Most professional gamers use DPI settings between 400 and 800.
How to check mouse DPI online?
Go to DPI Analyzer, set the target distance as the length you draw just now. Place the starting point of the line on paper to the Target and then move your mouse pointer there. Drag the mouse cursor from the starting point to the ending point on the paper. Read and record the Actual DPI you see on the paper.
What is a good DPI for gaming?
You need 1000 DPI to 1600 DPI for MMO and RPG games. Lower 400 DPI to 1000 DPI is a better fit for FPS and other shooter games. For MOBA games, you just need 400 DPI to 800 DPI. A 1000 DPI to 1200 DPI is the best setting for a Real-Time strategy game.
Why do pros use 400 DPI?
It’s better to think of the dots as pixels that the mouse converts into motion. If the player pushes the mouse 1 inch at 400 DPI, as long as the mouse acceleration is disabled and their Window settings are automatic, the crosshair moves exactly 400 pixels.
We hope our article helped you know all about mouse DPI and how to change it instantly.